How to password protect a folder
You can lock a directory with password by using the cPanel "Password Protected Directories" Option.
- Log into your cPanel account.
- In the "Security" section, click on "Password Protected Directories" Icon.
- Click on the name of directory you want to protect by password.
- Under "Security Settings", check the box next to "Password protect this directory" and enter a name for the protected directory like "Password Protected Area". Then click the "Save" button.
- Now click on the "Go back" button.
- Scroll down the page and under "Create User" fill in the username and password fields or use the Password Generator option to generate a new random password and copy the user/password to a notepad. You will need this when you want to open your password-protected directory and click on the "Add or Modify The Authorized User" button.
Now, should you try to open your password protected directory in your browser through the url www.example.com/myfolder, which is already password protected, your browser will prompt you to enter username and password.